Monday, May 9, 2016

Appendectomy and 34th Birthday

Last week Paul had been complaining that his stomach felt bloated and hurt.  He went all the way to Iowa for a work trip and talked about his stomach every time he called. I teased him that he hadn't been eating enough fruit and green leafy vegetables but as time went on the pain got worse and settled in on his right side.  I went to pick up Hayden from gymnastics Friday night and when I got home he was in pretty bad shape.  We started reading online and texting my nurse friends about appendicitis symptoms and he fit all except he had no fever.  So Paul headed off to the ER by himself while I got the kids fed and in bed.  Once he got confirmation that his appendix did in fact need to be removed I had Amie Houser come over to the house and I left around 9pm.  He went into surgery probably about an hour after I arrived!  Crazy, it all just happened so fast.  Zach Houser came to the hospital and gave him a blessing and stayed with me during the surgery.  Everything went well, they actually found a hard ball of "debris" inside his appendix, the medical staff said they had never seen anything like it!  We later found out that it was a seed or nut that caused the whole problem!  They also said he has a small hernia and we are a little upset that they just didn't fix that too!!!

Pre-op around 11 pm


Post-op feeling really good on fentanyl around 1 am


Paul had to stay the night and I left and got home around 2 am.  Of course Beckett who hardly ever wakes up at night woke up 3 times the night I go to bed past 2 am!  The kids were all up about 7:30 and I got them all dressed and took them to the hospital to pick Paul up.  The pain killers really knocked Paul out.  He slept all day Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and finally stayed awake a bit more on Wednesday.  By Thursday he was acting more like his normal self.


Picking dad up the next morning


Paul was showered with gifts and cards, he has a lot of people that felt bad for him!



A few days later it was Paul's birthday and it was a bit of a sad day since he slept ALL DAY! I made him one of his favorite breakfasts.  Homemade wheat bread with Havarti Cheese, eggs and Applegate Turkey Bacon open face sandwich.  We watched a movie that morning before he went to sleep the rest of the day.  I made a new cake that looked like it should have been amazing, but it was just so so sadly.  I ground up hazelnuts for the flour!  Anything that is that time intensive should just taste amazing...That night I picked up take out and we opened presents.  His big gift was purchased in March when we bought a Traeger grill.  But we had a few presents for him to open on his "special" day. 

Ever since Beckett was born I feel like we have been in survival mode moving from one problem to the next!  I hope once I figure out my hip issues (I'll write more about that later) we'll get a little break...





No comments:

Post a Comment