Thursday, December 8, 2011

St. Nicholas Day

We started a new tradition this year and that is to celebrate St. Nicholas Day on December 6th.  My friend Kim Smith has always done this with her family and I have always loved it.  We used to put a new ornament in our stockings each Christmas, but then you don't get to enjoy it on the tree for another year.  So instead we will now fill the shoe with a new ornament!  Here is how the day is described on Wikipedia:  "St. Nicholas fills the boot with gifts and sweets overnight, and at the same time checks up on the children to see if they were good, polite and helpful the last year. If they were not, they will have a tree branch in their boots instead."

 We like to give an ornament that reflects the person and since Hayden is obsessed with stars right now and points them out wherever we go, this was her ornament.  

 I found this Auburn ornament for Paul and he found me a gray squirrel!!!  I think it is a little to soon to be funny, but someday we will look back on that ornament and laugh, right???

It is so neat to be able to start traditions with Hayden.  We also have an Elf that watches over her during the day, but I think she is a little too young to understand what is going on right now.

4 comments:

  1. So cute! But what's with the snowman tray? Did you put goodies on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tradition. You guys look so great. I can't believe how big Hayden is and talking so good. My heart aches to give her hugs and kisses. I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this idea. And the squirrel story is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete