Saturday, August 27, 2011

Home Improvement

Yes, it is rewarding to own your home and know that we are no longer wasting money on rent.  But now there is always something that I want to do to make our home look nicer.  Sometimes my list really overwhelms me and I have to step back and take things one at a time.  Now that I am bringing in some extra money, we have been able to start to tackle my list!  

These may seem like simple little tasks, but nothing is ever simple with Paul and I!  Everything requires multiple trips to Home Depot and lots of patience from both of us. 



Finally got curtain rods to hang up curtains we had in Cheyenne in the kitchen and office!  Don't worry, the rods were missing a part and we had to go back to the store to get new ones. 

Got these new curtains and rod.  Don't worry, I bought two different sizes of curtains, drilled for the short one, only to realize I liked and wanted the longer ones. 

Oddly enough our house was missing all the door stoppers and the ones we did have Hayden found a way to rip them out of the wall.  After trying out some cheaper ones, Hayden again found a way to pull them out.  So we went with the heavy duty ones and she no longer has so much fun.  I know it's a small thing, but they look so nice!


Hayden's bathroom also had issues.  We replaced the toilet seat, so you can actually sit on this toilet now and also the hand towel hanger was broken, so we replaced all that stuff in her bathroom. Still waiting to put up the other towel rod because it is longer than the existing one and will require painting which we can't match at the moment :(

This is actually a degree cooler than our upstairs normally is in the summer.  Hayden was taking a nap so we turn it down a bit.  Anyway, we had a very old thermostat and upgrading to a digital has been wonderful! 


 Our friend Chris Curby came to help Paul with this project


Ta-da, a garbage disposal.  I am most excited about this!!!  Our house was on a septic system and the owner had to change it to sewer before we moved in because sewer was available.  What a process it has been.  We had to have an electrician come do a bunch of wiring and now Paul and Chris are currently working on hooking up the plumbing (technically they are at Home Depot buying another required part).  Hopefully in an hour I'll be letting all the food I want go down the drain (within reason of course!)

I wish home improvement projects weren't so costly.  I really do not know how people flip entire houses, it seems so overwhelming to me.  I just want to change everything at once, but need to gain the patience to do what we can little-by-little. 

2 comments:

  1. I like what you have done! The curtains are really cute. I understand with the home improvement stuff. When I moved into our house now I wanted to change so much. Crazy with the little things that do make a difference like new curtains or even to slap some paint up. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete