Monday, March 7, 2011

Ear Infection

Hayden has been sick off and on since January and it is really frustrating!  But this cold was accompanied by a fever that would come and go and some ear sensitivity.  So today I took her to our new pediatric clinic and yep, she got her first ear infection.  It's days like today when I really miss the Air Force and free doctor visits and prescriptions. 

Hayden really liked the doctor and didn't cry at all, she was great with Hayden.  Walgreens on the other hand was not so great.  I went and they said it would be $30 and about 10 minutes.  I waited what seemed like forever and now the price had gone up to $50!!!  I asked why and they said they had run out of small bottles, so they had to put it in a bigger bottle which apparently was $20 more.  I said that was a little ridiculous, so they transferred the prescription to another Walgreens where I drove to, waited, and finally got the prescription.  They asked if I wanted it flavored for her and not thinking it would cost extra I said, "sure, make it raspberry."  Don't worry, flavoring costs $5!  Sorry, I know this is petty and I am so grateful the pediatric office got her right in, but I am just not used to the out of pocket medical expenses!!! 

Any of you who know Hayden know that she is a loud breather and I also discussed this with the doctor.  She was surprised to hear me say that she usually sounds about the same even when she is not sick.  This is a result of large adenoids which continue to grow until they are about 4 years old.  The doctor was concerned because hers are already probably very large and they continue to grow which can result in problems sleeping, lots of ear infections and colds.  If it becomes a big problem by age 4 they would surgically remove them.  So I guess we'll see what happens there...

I will still love you Hayden, even if you are a loud breather for life!

4 comments:

  1. Drew had his adnoids removed and tubes put in at age 2. Thankfully, it is like a 20 minute procedure and they do really well with it usually. Sounds like Hayden may need that eventually. But Drew never had an ear infection after that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww poor little Hayden. I just want to hug her...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ty has had 3 ear infections since he was about 11 months! My doctor told me that the way the ear forms/grows is genetic. I had to have tubes in my ears when I was little, so most likely Ty will too! It's so scary though. And yes medical stuff does stink!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. McKay's little friend in Nor Cal had her adenoids surgically removed a little after she turned 3. She gradually got to where she had a really hard time sleeping and always sounded like she was sick.

    I totally know what you mean about having to change doctors etc. I miss our doctors from norcal so much. they are good here just not as convenient or as awesome as what I had before. Change is hard!

    ReplyDelete