Thursday, March 31, 2011

Visitors & Strep

Paul has been gone a lot lately with work.  He is trying to learn the product line and has gone to several trainings to learn more, thus leaving Hayden and I.  Well, this time we were lucky enough to have some company from Susannah and Payton Sanders.  They came on Monday and stayed until Wednesday.  It was so nice to have company, someone to talk to, and someone for Hayden to play with.  We didn't do anything grand, but we had a good visit with them.  Sadly, and much to my dismay Hayden got Strep Throat, almost guaranteeing that poor Payton will get it.  I felt horrible that we probably infected them too!

Last Monday at Hayden's 18 month appointment she had a little runny nose that the Dr. concluded was from teething and nothing to worry about.  Tuesday I got a soar throat and headache which I attributed to allergies (tons of pollen here right now).  But Hayden and I then got nasty coughs that kept us up at night on Tuesday of the following week.  Hayden kept waking up and crying so I brought her in bed with me and that is when I noticed that she was barely breathing and then would stop breathing altogether for about 10 seconds and then gasp for air and cry.   That worried me and it seemed like she had sleep apnea.  I didn't sleep most of the night because I kept listening to her breathing.  So the next day I was talking to my mother-in-law who said that 3 of her boys had their adenoids removed for similar problems and that I should talk to her doctor.  I called and they told me to bring her in right away.

While at the appointment they discovered her tonsils were almost swollen shut and she was barely getting air in, the doctor seemed shocked and was glad that the results for strep came back positive.  They put her on steroids and an antibiotic.  They set us up for a referral to get x-rays and see an ENT doctor next week.  So we'll see what they say about her adenoids.

At this point I realized that my throat was still hurting and it was now past a week since it started so I wondered if I too might have strep.  I went to the doctor and my results were negative but the results are only 85% accurate, so they put me on an antibiotic that will treat strep and a sinus infection which I probably have. 

So after all that and about $350 (it's days like today when I really miss military insurance!) hopefully we are on the mend.  I can only imagine how much the surgery and all that will end up costing....Oh the joys of life.  It is crazy that Hayden was so sick and hardly acted sick. If she hadn't kept waking up coughing I would have not even thought to take her in, I figured it was a virus that would work it's way through her system.  I felt terrible that her throat was so swollen.

  Payton and Hayden eating Ebelskivers (although Hayden didn't really eat them :( )


 They had so much fun playing with stickers!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about Hayden being sick! I hope you get better soon and hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete