Thursday, October 6, 2011

Vent

I just need to vent so the next few paragraphs will be all negative and complaining.  I know I am being materialistic and that really I do have LOTS to be grateful for.  The past week I have felt so good about life and everything going on in it, and there always has to be a low for me I guess so I can later appreciate my happiness more.

When we first looked at this house we noticed a crack above our garage.  We were worried about foundational issues, but our home inspector said it was just a cosmetic problem and that nothing was wrong with the foundation.  I guess now I am smarter and would have had a mason come out and give a second opinion.  But we assumed that the home inspector knew what he was talking about.  So this week I had some people come look at the "cosmetic crack" and it is not cosmetic at all.  It is going to be a huge expense to have it fixed and a very necessary thing to fix.  If we don't do something about it, the problem will only get worse and worse.  My garage door also stopped opening again and I'm wondering if this has something to do with it???  I thought maybe the masons were trying to just make money so I asked one of my clients who does lots of construction to look at it on his way out.  He said, "I already saw it our first appointment and felt bad for you, yes, it's foundational."

This month we finally pay off Hayden's surgery and I was hoping to start making some headway on some new carpet, paint, cutting down a few of our overgrown trees, maybe getting a "normal" tv like most people have, but that will not be happening once again for the foreseeable future.  Such is life I guess.

We called USAA to see if this problem may be covered under our home owners insurance, but of course it isn't.  It seems like nothing that goes wrong is ever covered under our insurance!  Did I also mention that our AC isn't working so next summer we will have to replace that.  Sorry friends and family, we will not be visiting Utah for a long time...   

On a positive note, I finally got a good coupon for carpet cleaning and have been wanting our basement carpet to be cleaned (the owner had it cleaned when we looked at the house and then made a huge mess when he moved his things out!).  But it was cheaper to have our whole house cleaned with the coupon than just the basement.  I was really worried because the man seemed really sketchy as he pulled up in his beat up car and wore nothing that resembled working for a carpet cleaning company.  But anyway, he did a great job and got out stains in our family room that the carpet cleaners back in January "couldn't get out" even with the more expensive cleaning solution.  So at least I can have stain free ugly carpet for the next few years!!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Kristine. I can imagine it must be so overwhelming to invest so much into a home and find out the very foundation is a problem. I wish I had a magic wand to fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about that! That is SO frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the carpet worked out! So sorry about the foundation. That stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so whenever I read your posts about your house, I seriously re-consider buying a house!! I'm so sorry for it all! That's one reason why we backed out of an offer we put on a house, I got too scared to "fix" things. Hope it all works out! If it makes you feel any better we are going to come visit you guys next summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hard part is the three steps forward, two back feeling. I know it well! Just when you think you are getting somewhere, something shows up to move you back to where you were - ugh! frustrating for sure. But enjoy your home, even with it's problems, because you are investing so much into it!

    ReplyDelete