Saturday, December 17, 2011

Gingerbread House

When Paul and I first got married, we thought it would be a fun tradition to make our own gingerbread houses from scratch as a Christmas tradition. 

Well, you can see how that turned out.  I don't remember, but Paul says I tried again the next year and it was another epic fail, I must have blocked out the memory. 

Since then we have always bought the gingerbread house kit at the stores and each year I am a bit sad that I am so incapable of making homemade gingerbread.  Well this year I decided to try once again.  The first dough mixture would not roll out and was way too sticky and I thought to myself, "seriously, I know I am capable of making this!!!"  So I tried again, added about another whole cup of flour than the recipe called for and it worked! 









Hayden ate more candy while decorating the house than she has eaten her whole life!  She LOVED all the candy and loved dipping it in the frosting and making the front bushes and lights along the trim of the house.  The house is still standing the next day, so this is a good sign!  I think I finally got the hang of it!  Sorry no pictures of me, day 2 of antibiotics and my eyes are still blood red and disgusting!

3 comments:

  1. ooo that's my family's holiday tradition too! You're looks awesome! Super fun and more candy then halloween. The key is the decorate the sides before you construct the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your gingerbread worked! I may have to attempt that next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house looks beautiful and I think that it is going to be a wonderful tradition. I think we build a gingerbread house a couple of years and then I gave up. Adding the flour was a great idea because you don't usually eat the house so who cares what is taste like.
    I am glad your eyes are getting better. It is scary when you have trouble with your eyes. The South has been giving you a run for your money.

    ReplyDelete