Thursday, September 23, 2010

Nap Strike!

The last few days Hayden has just been all off! I could tell she was about done with morning naps, so we have been transitioning to one nap a day in the afternoon. Saturday night she got a rash on her neck and chest and I was worried because I just started giving her whole milk for the first time last Friday.  I still nurse her in the morning and at night and she has whole milk for lunch and dinner (I am really liking this new schedule).  Anyway so the rash was going on and then she woke up at 5 am Sunday morning and after checking to see if she had pooped and hadn't I made her go back to bed.  Then Monday and Tuesday she will not take naps!!! Tuesday we fought back and forth for 2 hours and she did not sleep at all, all day long!  I about lost it.  I started reading in a baby book that it is common for most babies to drop the morning nap around one year (fine, I was expecting that) but that some babies, "try" to cut out both naps.  That's where the book just stopped and my mind kept going, "tried" and succeeded??? "tried" and failed, "tried" and what???  I really started to panic.  I was so worried that she would never take naps again.  Paul was worried enough about me that he came home an hour early to make sure I hadn't completely lost it.  Then that night she woke up at 10 pm crying, but after getting out some gas went back to sleep.

Anyway, we found the rash is most likely due to washing her bibs with regular laundry soap (oooops better use the baby detergent a little longer) and today she is still sleeping and it has been 3 hours (better go wake her up so she'll sleep tonight). 

I really am a schedule kind of person.  I know that babies will not always follow one, but I start to go loopy if she deviates too far off.  Hayden, I hope the normal you is back! 

4 comments:

  1. McKay dropped his morning nap at 15 months and at first I fought it. He tried to drop the afternoon nap so we had a few days of no nap at all, since I wouldn't put him down for his morning nap. But THEN when I found out how much I LOVED his 3 hour afternoon nap with a free morning to play... no looking back! I really hope for your sake (and sanity) that Hayden doesn't drop her nap early... McKay stopped at 2 1/2. He got back from Christmas and seemed to have decided he didn't want to sleep anymore, even if he needed it, and that was it. Just before tax season. :(
    Seriously, what WOULD we do without nap time?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dilan still takes two naps and she's 19 months old but I can push her not to take the morning nap and think she will transition out of it soon - probably right when I have the baby! :)
    But I guess I have good sleepers so I can relate to losing it when it comes to their schedule changing like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that sounds pretty overwhelming. I think it's funny the book didn't expound on the fact that some babies "try" to get rid of both naps....and....? Funny!
    I'm glad Hayden is a little more back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I think naps are more for the moms then the kids. Abbey goes on nap strikes when she's teething. Whenever I've about had it I look in her mouth and her poor little gums are so swollen. Then I feel awful. As soon as her tooth appears she's back to her naps.

    ReplyDelete