Thursday, September 2, 2010

Treck East

This was my first time driving so far east and I don't think I have ever seen so much corn and soy fields in my life! The first day we stopped in Lincoln, Nebraska which was about 6 hours away. Hayden struggled for about an hour during the ride and cried off and on, but for as long as she was alone in the back seat she did a good job. I wish I could have had someone drive with me to keep her company and hand her toys. It was really interesting handing her snacks and toys from the drivers seat!


Hayden and I unpacking the back of the pilot waiting for dad to catch up to us. He was about 45 minutes behind us because he was pulling the Uhaul trailer.



Hayden did not sleep very good during the car rides or at night in the hotel rooms. This was the night she decided it would be fun to stay awake from 1 am to 5 am! I'm sure it was a combination of all the change, the newness of the room and the fact that I drank 2 Dr. Pepper's and I haven't had any caffeine since I was pregnant with her! Since we settled here in Indiana she has been sleeping a ton, probably making up for all the sleep she missed out on.





Our second day of driving we stopped of at Adam-ondi-Ahman in Missouri. On the way there we got to see the boyhood home of JC Penny. This picture really does not do it justice. It was beautiful. Hayden finally fell asleep in the car and we didn't want to wake her up, so Paul and I took turns staying by the car and going out to see the view. Apparently, this is where we believe Adam gathered all of his posterity and gave them his final blessing before he died. We also believe that this was the center of the Garden of Eden and that this is where Christ will appear prior to his second coming. I can picture it because it was absolutely beautiful.



We then went to Far West which was not too far. Here is a little history of Far West:
The cornerstones for the Far West Temple were first laid at a patriotic celebration on 4 July 1838. In October of that year, the infamous extermination order by Governor Boggs initiated the forced expulsion of the church from Missouri. Far West was virtually abandoned when the apostles gathered here on 26 April 1839. They re-laid the temple cornerstones on that occasion.



Hayden had fun stretching out her legs here and looking at the 4 cornerstones. She also liked hitting the glass. We were also close to Haun's mille masacre, but we didn't think Hayden could handle much more driving. All in all we drove about 9-10 hours that day.






That night we stayed in Hannibal, MO where Mark Twain grew up. It was a small, quaint town and by the time we got there all the restaurants were closed except a home town favorite restaurant, I can't remember the name now. I got a fried tenderloin and it was terrible. I kept dry heaving, so Paul being the good husband that he is ate it and I ate his chicken strips (which were also not too good, seriously how do you screw up chicken strips).

The next morning we woke up and headed for Carmel, Indiana. We got here around 3 pm but it was really 4pm because we are on Eastern time. Sadly we live on the 3rd floor and we (but mainly Paul) had to carry all of our things up the 3 flights of stairs. He was drenched in sweat by the time we were finished.

I will post pictures of our new little place and what we have been up to since getting here.


2 comments:

  1. omgosh! I am lol at the "how do you screw up chicken fingers" - hilarious! am I the only one who sends back dishes if they are terrible? I'll do it but David won't so I think that's funny. :)
    Looks like a great trip out to Indiana - reminds me of all the things I would try to get to do and see for sure! how neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kristine...what a trip out East! It sounds like you were at least able to see a lot of neat sights on the way! I'm glad Hayden was so good! And yes, a bummer that you are on teh 3rd floor...poor Paul having to carry everything..but what a good husband! :)

    ReplyDelete